What you will need to make cheap ice cream in a bag:
Cheap Ice Cream In A Bag
~ Towels, Towels, Towels
~ 1 gallon size Ziploc style of plastic freezer bag
~ 1 pint size Ziploc style of plastic freezer bag
~ ½ cup milk, buttermilk or cream
~ 5 or 6 drops of flavor extract (Example: vanilla, cherry, orange or strawberry)
~ 1 tablespoon of sweetener (Example: white sugar, brown sugar or honey)
~ 1 heaping 1/3 cup of rock salt, about 6 tablespoons
~ Ice Cubes
- Line your work surface with a clean bath mat, terry robe or other item that will provide padding.
- Dump the milk, extract and sweetener into the small Ziploc-style bag and zip the top closed.
- Fill the large Ziploc-style of bag about half full of ice and add the rock salt.
- Place the small bag of ingredients inside of the larger bag and zip the top closed.
- Lay a towel flat on top of your workspace padding.
- Wrap the ice cream bag in the terry or cotton towel so that it becomes a bundle.
- Tell your child to roll the bundle back-and-forth on your padded work surface for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Un-bundle the hand towel or bath towel wrapper, release the small bag of ice cream and enjoy.
Optional: Older children often enjoy playing catch with their bundled ice cream bags until the ice cream is ready. The terry towel wrappers should be taped or tied to keep them around the ice cream bags during these games.
This activity is fun for children of all ages. The soft towel that is wrapped around the ice cream bags helps to hold the children’s interest because their hands do not get cold. Adults can do away with all of the formalities and make this style of homemade ice cream while they are sitting around in their bathrobes. Simply shake the ice cream bags for about 5 minutes whenever you are in the mood for some cheap fun-filled ice cream.