June is a month when you may find yourself searching for the perfect gift for one of numerous occasions that mark the start of a new chapter in someone’s life. Whether you have a relative who is graduating and living on his own for the first time, a dear friend who is getting married or someone who is buying their first home, a towel cake is a great way to turn a gift of necessities into a chic, creative masterpiece that other guest will envy and the recipient will surely appreciate.
Towel cakes can be a variety of sizes and can be made to fit any theme, taste or budget. To begin, you will need to organize your ingredients. The following description is for a moderately sized three layer “cake.” However, the “recipe” can be tweaked to make other variations.
2 large bath towels
3 hand towels
3 wash cloths
Large Safety pins
Long straight pins (decorative pins, those with pearls or colorful balls for heads are ideal.)
Ribbon – Satin or organza work well
Decorative items and finishing touches that only you can add
1. For the base layer, you will use the large bath towels. Each one needs to be folded in half lengthwise twice. Pin the ends together then roll it into a tight coil, using pins to anchor it. Then repeat with the other towel.
2. For the second layer, use the hand towels and the wash cloths will serve as the top layer. For each layer repeat the folding, rolling and pinning.
3. Place each coiled layer on top of the larger layer and pin it to the previous one, to add stability. Be sure you are using a tray or cake stand so it can be easily transported. The tray or stand can be another gift for the recipient.
4. With the foundation complete, add ribbon around each layer for aesthetics and add any other decorative items that will complete your theme.
5. In addition to towels, you can add kitchen utensils, decorative soaps, scented candles, toiletries, tools, office supplies, or any other items that strike your fancy and may be useful to the receiver. There are no rules about what can or cannot be added, have fun with it and use your imagination to make it a one of a kind gift that is both attractive and practical and not likely to be found anywhere else.